Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Ode to Mother's Day

One of the (many) things that my mother taught me was to "choose your battles." Well, yesterday I CHOSE WRONG.

Norah and I returned from a trip to Canaan, CT and after three hours of driving in the rain, we were both tired. She was fighting a nap like it was her job. I changed her diaper prior to bringing her upstairs to her crib. She was squirming and wiggling and kicking as I tried to snap her onsie and outfit. I decided not to fight with her.

Fast forward to 5:40pm. I go upstairs to get Norah so that we can be ready to leave for the P Bruins when Tom gets home. She is sleeping peacefully. As I go to pick her up I find this cotton stuff in her crib. I realize that it is diaper filling. Then I realize that she has torn her diaper off and is soaked in pee. Then I follow the poop-print trail to the corner of the crib, just below which I find a ball of poop on the rug! I dispose of said filling, diaper and what should have been in the diaper. I wake Norah (which I hate to do) and begin changing her (now soaked) outfit and replacing her diaper. There is poop on both feet, both legs, both hands....even a bit on her nose. Luckily nothing that a bit of soap and water couldn't fix.

But boy did I choose wrong. There will be no more naps without snapped snaps!


Happy Mother's Day to all our moms, grand moms, and friends who are moms. I am sure many of you can appreciate this story, and have even worse tales to share...
Motherhood is an adventure! I am enjoying the ride.

No comments: