Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Balance Beams and Check Ups

Norah started gymnastics today! We signed her up for a parent/toddler class at a local gymnastics school. Her first class was today. She really had fun, although she wasn't that interested in doing what the group was doing. She was more interested in running around, dancing and trying to check out all of the equipment. It is a very large space with lots of colorful equipment so I think she may have been a bit overstimulated. Other moms assured me that it takes a few classes for the kids to get focused. Norah did enjoy the trampolines!!
I wasn't able to take too many pictures because I was literally chasing her the whole 45 minutes of class. When Tom can come along, I bet we'll get some good ones.



this is the class after Norah's....but her class had fun with the parachute too!

This afternoon we had a check up with the midwife. We are at 28 weeks and change. That means, hopefully, less than 12 weeks to go. We discussed the option of a c-section again today (because of my history of large baby and complications with delivery). I have mixed feelings about it, but it seems like it may be the safest option. We are going to wait to make a decision, and keep an eye on Finn's size. It looks like I'll have an ultrasound around 38 weeks and we'll use that measurement to help us decide. The other discussion we had with the midwife was about delayed cord clamping. Apparently, there are some benefits to the baby if you wait a short time before clamping the umbilical cord. Thus allowing the baby to get the rest of that blood (which can be about 20% of his blood volume). We are doing more research but will likely request this. Delaying the clamping may prohibit donating our cord blood this time around.

We got to hear the heartbeat. Tom estimates about 132 beats/minute. The midwife had trouble picking up the heartbeat on the Doppler because Finn kept kicking her. I have been feeling a lot of kicking on my right side and hardly anything on the left. She estimated today that he is lying crosswise right now, with his head to my left and his feet to my right. My belly measured "a bit big." I apparently have gained 30 pounds so far!!! eek!

No comments: